Making your crust is one every baker prides themselves on. The process is precise, but when perfected is an excellent skill to possess. You will not only save so much on pre-made crusts but be able to make your crust whenever you need to. If you are new to pastries, remember to be patient and refrain from holding or manipulating the crust with your hands. The heat from your hands will melt the butter. Use a pastry cutter or a metal fork and work the flour slowly into the butter.
2 cups pastry flour
8 oz of Myoko vegan butter
1/2 cup cold water
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl, cut into large chunks, then pour one cup of flour onto the butter. Drop 4 tablespoons of the water into the bowl blend using a pastry cutter. Move the cutter back and forth blending the flour. Add more water if too dry and continue working the butter into the flour. Once all the flour is blended in add the remaining flours and another 4 tablespoons of water. Blend again until all the flour is mixed in and the crust is smooth but not too dry.
- Cover the bowl, place into the fridge until ready to use.
- When ready for your crust cut into desired portions. Roll onto a floured surface using a rolling pin. Place into your tart or pie dish.
- Using a fork prick holes into the bottom of the crust to allow airflow.
- Bake in the oven at about 300 degrees for 15 minutes. That allows the crust to slightly bake before pouring the filling inside onto a soft crust. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the filling and back for about 30 minutes at 315 degrees or until golden brown.
Farrah was born on the Nature Isle of the Caribbean, Dominica. An island, known for its rich biodiversity, cultural heritage, and extensive centenarian population. Dominica instilled in her a respect for nature, the environment, and the power of healthy living. It is apparent why she became an Environmental Scientist. After much success in her industry, Farrah found a growing need for community-based health education and founded Gaia’s Essence, a lifestyle company for women. Over the years, she has partnered with Fortune 500 companies like; Whole Foods Market, Disney, and OWN. She is the Editor in Chief of Gaia’s Essence Magazine, the producer of the New Year New You Summit, the Gaia’s Essence Women’s Wellness Conference, host of the Beast Mamas podcast, and founder of the Gaia’s Essence Network.
She lives in California with her husband and her two children.