Sweet potatoes are definitely one of my favorite root vegetables. It is a staple in my pantry throughout the year and even more during Thanksgiving. These root vegetables are high in Vitamin, A, C and Manganese, Pantothenic acid ( Vitamin B5 ), Vitamin B6 and Potassium.
2 large sweet potatoes
2 tbsp Myoko Butter
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup of flax milk ( Substitute any plant based unsweetened milk )
2 cups of water
2 cups vegan mini marshmallows
- Wash the sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks and place in a dutch oven with 2 cups of water. Bake at 350 degrees in the oven for about 30-45 minutes depending on how large the potatoes are. After about 30 minutes reduce the heat to 300 degrees to slowly steam. Check periodically to verify if there is sufficient water. Add another cup of water if needed. I prefer steaming slowly in the oven to boiling on the stove top as steaming keeps the integrity of the taste of the potatoes and they do not taste watery.
- Remove the potatoes from the dutch oven and allow to cool in front of a window for about 15- 20 minutes before peeling the skin off.
- Once the potatoes have cooled down peel the skin off using a fork or knife.
- Using a fork or masher, mash the potatoes until all chunks are gone. Then add the butter, cinnamon and milk. Mix altogether and place in your desired dish to bake.
- Add the marshmallows to the top. Bake in the oven on the lower rack at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove once golden brown.
- Allow to rest for about 15 minutes before serving.
Farrah was born on the Nature Isle of the Caribbean, Dominica. An island, known for its rich biodiversity, cultural heritage, and extensive centenarian population. Dominica instilled in her a respect for nature, the environment, and the power of healthy living. It is apparent why she became an Environmental Scientist. After much success in her industry, Farrah found a growing need for community-based health education and founded Gaia’s Essence, a lifestyle company for women. Over the years, she has partnered with Fortune 500 companies like; Whole Foods Market, Disney, and OWN. She is the Editor in Chief of Gaia’s Essence Magazine, the producer of the New Year New You Summit, the Gaia’s Essence Women’s Wellness Conference, host of the Beast Mamas podcast, and founder of the Gaia’s Essence Network.
She lives in California with her husband and her two children.