Cabbages are one of the most popular vegetables globally. Almost every culture around the world uses cabbage in different traditional dishes. According to the Agricultural Marketing Resource Center, 78 percent of the nation’s total cabbage in the US (fresh market and processing) is produced in five states, California, Wisconsin, New York, Florida, and Texas. Cabbage is high in Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and Folate. It is an excellent source of insoluble and soluble fiber promoting a healthy digestive health and gut flora.
1 large green cabbage
spices of your choice
Pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt
Pinch of black pepper
1. Wash and cut the cabbage in half, then quarters. Chop each quarter in about 1/2 inch thin slices.
2. Cut the lemon in half, slice one half and rest aside. Juice the other half and add the lemon juice to the pot.
3. Place the chopped cabbage in a saute pan on a low fire. Add all the other ingredients.
4. Steam for about 15-20 minutes. ( Do not add any extra water. Cabbage has very high water content, as it steams it releases the water. This naturally enhances the flavor of the dish.)
5. Remove from the fire. Add the lemon slices. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then serve.
Farrah was born on the Nature Isle of the Caribbean, Dominica. An island, known for its rich biodiversity, cultural heritage, and extensive centenarian population. Dominica instilled in her a respect for nature, the environment, and the power of healthy living. It is apparent why she became an Environmental Scientist. After much success in her industry, Farrah found a growing need for community-based health education and founded Gaia’s Essence, a lifestyle company for women. Over the years, she has partnered with Fortune 500 companies like; Whole Foods Market, Disney, and OWN. She is the Editor in Chief of Gaia’s Essence Magazine, the producer of the New Year New You Summit, the Gaia’s Essence Women’s Wellness Conference, host of the Beast Mamas podcast, and founder of the Gaia’s Essence Network.
She lives in California with her husband and her two children.